Just when you thought you had mastered all of the awesome features and tricks in Meshmixer, here we have a new version packed with new stuff to learn. Don't worry...Meshmixer 2.5, released today, is packed with new 3D printing features you have requested so the learning curve should be easy.
Take for example the new Hollow tool. A common workflow for making your 3D prints efficient and practical to use, creating a hollowed out object is now easier than before with this tool. Also, there are options for leaving cylindrical holes in the resulting hollowed out object making it easy to remove any internal support material and creating access to the inside of your print (see below).
The new Bridge tool is another welcome addition for Meshmixer users, especially if you are working with captures from 123D Catch or scan data. Sometimes the holes are too large to fix easily or as desired. With the new Bridge tool, you can now join two selections on the hole's boundary with a patch.
My favorite new feature is making linear and spherical gradients when using the Make Pattern tool. See the pattern gradient above on the right hand side chair as the features transition from large to small.
The full list of features is below, so take a look and download the new version at 123dapp.com/meshmixer!
- Menu reorganization/New Preferences dialog
- 3D printing Services update: support multicolor workflow
- 3D printing Services update: improvement in Shapeways workflow
- Custom symmetry plane adjustment option
- Update to feedback
- 3D Printing Help Document
- New Hollow tool
- New Bridge tool
- New Tube Handle tool
- New Thickness analysis/visualization tool
- Extensive optimization of generated support structures
- Make Pattern Linear and Spherical gradients, improved sizing UI
- New Select Visible command (under Selection / Modify)
- Project Face Groups and Minimum Thickness options in Make Solid
- VRML (.wrl) export (with vertex colors)
- Misc. improvements to Smooth Boundary, Remesh, Drop Solid
- Various tools now remember settings